Follow bigbadsgirl on Twitter

background

Sunday, July 3, 2016

Hearty Lunch - Meatball Sandwiches

     Today I thought I'd share with you my inspired idea. While at Menards (large chain hardware store) recently, in their small food section, I ran into their bake and serve breads. I bought two bags of Cabatta rolls (small rectangular). You bake these for 6-8 minutes at 400ºF, for fresh rolls.
     Not long ago, I had a meatball sub sandwich from Subway. It wasn't as good as I thought it should be. I happen, as a staple, have a bag of small Italian meatballs in my freezer. I also had a jar of Marinara sauce in my pantry. All I had to do was buy slices of mozzarella cheese.
     I heated up the rolls as per package directions. I then sliced them in half and toasted them under the broiler briefly. This is so the bread is a bit toasty on the inside so it won't be soggy and mush under your meatballs. Doesn't have to be light brown, just need to dry the bread out a bit. I halved the meatballs and heated them up in a small pot. I halved the meatballs to they'd lay flat in the sandwich and would be less likely to fall out and down the front of your shirt while you're eating. I heated the meatballs halves first, seasoning just a touch with Nature's Seasoning (salt, pepper and a few extra spices.) Once they were heated through, I added the jar of marinara sauce. I added some freshly grated Italian seasoning and heated this all up.
    Time to assemble the sandwiches. Put both halves of each roll on a sheet pan. Add meatballs and sauce carefully to one half of a sub, without spilling on the sheet pan. Top with a slice of mozzarella cheese. Broil all the rolls (both the empty half which will toast and brown nicely) just until the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the tops with ground oregano. Top meatball bottom with toasted top roll. Eat while still warm. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment