Follow bigbadsgirl on Twitter

background

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Ham & Cheese Frittata

    Everyone is tired this morning, after staying up late for Independence Day fireworks, so I decided to make them all a breakfast frittata. I quickly googled a recipe. I found Alton Brown's recipe on Food Network.com  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/frittata-recipe.html I will let you look there for the basic recipe and I'll just tell you what changes I made.
     I had green onions, or scallions in the fridge, so I cut them up. I had slow roasted a spiral ham the day before for the holiday, so I diced some of that up. I got the 6 beaten eggs ready. As this cooks rather fast, so it helps to have all your ingredients prepped before cooking.
     Now I don't have asparagus in the house (and I live 16 miles from the nearest grocery store, so I try to cook with pantry/fridge/freezer staples that I have lying around, with special emphasis on using up leftovers. Instead of regular parmesan cheese, I used Sun Dried Tomato & Basil grated parmesan cheese. I added the parmesan cheese to the beaten eggs, along with salt & pepper.
     I melted butter in an oven safe sauté pan while starting the broiler on the oven. I added the scallions to the butter to sauté, then added the ham. After they'd sauted for a couple minutes, I added the beaten egg mixture. You only need to move it around the pan enough so that the entire bottom of the pan is covered with the eggs, and move the ham and scallions around evenly so they won't all end up on one side of the frittata. Otherwise, don't touch it and let the bottom of the egg mixture set and start to cook and form a crust. This won't be very thick, under half an inch. At this point, I added what leftover real bacon bits I had, and sprinkled the top with grated Colby jack shreaded cheese. Once the bottom half of the frittata is cooked, remove from the stove and put it under the broiler. It only needs a couple minutes under the broiler until the top is lightly browned and bubbly.
     Prep time for this was about 5 minutes, and total cooking time was maybe 8 minutes. The family ate is up while still warm, with no leftovers. If you don't have green onions/scallions around (as I usually don't), I'd add chives at the same time you add the shredded cheese (instead of the chopped parsley Alton Brown's recipe called for). This recipe is a great way to use up leftovers, both meat and veggies. You could always add a few extra eggs to make it a bit thicker. You could also add a splash of milk to thin the beaten eggs a bit like you do when making scrambled eggs.
      This could easily be for brunch, lunch, or dinner as well as breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment