Follow bigbadsgirl on Twitter

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Buying Yeast

     Yeast may not be something most folks think about buying, however, let me show you one way to save money on buying yeast. Most recipes calling for yeast call for Active Dry Yeast. This is the yeast that you must proof in warm water first, before adding to the dough. (Cold water won't activate the yeast, but if the water is too hot, it'll kill the yeast.) Fleischmann's Active Dry yeast comes in a 3 packet strip.
     At my local grocery store, that 3 packet strip costs $1.57. Each packet is 1/4 ounce, or 7 grams. I purchased Fleischmann's Active-Dry yeast in bulk, for $6.48, in a 2 lb bag. This is the exact same product, but sold in a bulk bag. Each packet above contains .25oz, 7 grams, or 2 1/4 tsp of yeast. It works out to 49 cents a packet for .25 oz. I can get the equivalent of 128 packets out of the 2lb bulk bag, which works out to 5 cents for the same .25 oz. Huge difference in my opinion. Yeast can be stored in a tightly sealed container in the freezer, and you can use it frozen. Active Dry yeast can also be bought in small 4oz brown jars. Rapid Rise or Bread Machine Yeast can be bought in either the 4oz jars or the 3 packet strip. When I had the bread machine yeast, I stored the jar in the refrigerator.

      While I'm talking about yeast, let me explain about another kind: Instant Dry Yeast. Instant yeast differs from Active-Dry Yeast in that it doesn't need to be proofed (or activated) in warm water first. You can add it directly to your dough in with the dry ingredients. You can use it in recipes in place of the active-dry yeast or in place of bread machine yeast. It's convenient and a quicker, easier to use yeast.
      
     I recently discovered Fleischmann's Pizza Crust Yeast. It's a quick and easy way to make your own pizza crust and it requires no rise time or proofing. It claims to be "specifically formulated for making easy pizza crust dough - no frustrating "snap back" when rolling or pressing dough out." And as it says as well, "Make your crust any way you want it - thick, thin, whole wheat, with herbs or cheese - the possibilities are endless!"
    

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much. I used to make my pizza crust by hand, then changed to using a burrito wrap, but I love the taste of handmade. I definitely will be looking for the new Pizza Crust Yeast this weekend when I go shopping. Thanks for the heads up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome. I found my pizza crust yeast at my local Walmart's superstore. It's super easy to make and doesn't cost very much.

    ReplyDelete