Follow bigbadsgirl on Twitter

background

Friday, May 13, 2011

Spaghetti Lasagna




     I was looking through a cookbook recently, The Church Supper Cookbook: A Special Collection of Over 375 Potluck Recipes from Families and Churches across the Country by David Joachim and found a recipe (page 24) for Spaghetti Pie. I made it tonight but altered the recipe quite a bit.
Morton Roasted Garlic Sea Salt Grinder, 3-Ounce (Pack of 6)     Instead of using spaghetti broken into 2 inch pieces, I used a package of vermicelli which is very similar to spaghetti (although a bit thinner) and already comes broken up in a package making the recipe easier (and I had it on hand). Instead of plain Parmesan cheese, I used something called Mama Francesca Pizza Topping. It's a blend of grated Parmesan and spices. I didn't have a green pepper in the house today so left that out. For the garlic salt I used Morton Roasted Garlic Sea Salt Grinder, shown at left, estimating the 1/2 tsp.
     What follows is my altered version which I've named Spaghetti Lasagna.

Spaghetti Lasagna
7oz package Vermicelli pasta
2 TBsp butter
1/3 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 egg, well-beaten
1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
2 TBsp vegetable oil, approximately
1- 26oz can of spaghetti sauce
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 1/2 - 2 cups cottage cheese
8oz package shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. In a 9x13 inch baking dish put the cooked pasta, butter, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and egg until thoroughly combined. Spread pasta evenly over the bottom of the dish. Brown the ground beef in a skillet over med-high heat with the onion and green pepper in the vegetable oil until meat is brown; drain. To the meat mixture, add the spaghetti sauce, sugar, oregano, and garlic salt. Stir to combine and turn off the heat. Spread the cottage cheese over the pasta layer. It doesn't have to fully cover the pasta. Top with the meat mixture. Bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, sprinkle mozzarella cheese over top and bake an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and browned. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes to cool before serving. Serves 6 to 8.

Please note: I may show what an item looks like using an Amazon link, but I don't expect anyone to necessarily purchase it from there. The Morton Roasted Garlic spice grinder shown above does not cost $22 at your local grocery store, although that's what Amazon is selling it for. I have shown the item(s) so that you know what I'm referring to or talking about, and the amazon's imbedded links are the easiest way for me to do that. I do endorse buying books there, from either Amazon or Amazon's Used Marketplace because they are a good price. (Used price for the cookbook listed above is only $1.30 plus $3.99 shipping, which isn't bad at all.) Their grocery items are higher than a kite and I have no idea why.

No comments:

Post a Comment