Follow bigbadsgirl on Twitter

background

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Cowboy Bread Dessert

Saco Cultured Buttermilk Blend, 16-Ounce Canister (Pack of 3)I don't know how this dessert got this name. It isn't even shaped like a loaf of bread. Regardless of it's name, it's a good tasting dessert that my kids love. I stumbled across this recipe a few years ago on the Dollar Stretcher Forum. The recipe is super simple to make and it feeds a crowd. It uses ingredients right out of the pantry, with the possible exception of buttermilk which not everyone has on hand (although I do, as I use it often.) If you don't keep liquid buttermilk on hand, it's convenient to keep the powdered buttermilk blend in your pantry/fridge. (One brand of which I've shown above. There are other brands but that's the one I've found in my local grocery.)



Cowboy Bread

2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups brown sugar, packed
2/3 cup shortening
2 TBsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs

Combine flour, salt, sugar, and shortening. Mix until crumbly. Reserve 1/2 cup crumbs. Add remaining ingredients and mix. Put in a 9x13 inch greased and floured pan. Sprinkle with crumbs. Bake at 350┬║F for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment