Follow bigbadsgirl on Twitter

background

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Pantry Meal: Turkey & Rice with Copper Penny Carrots and Bread Pudding

     Today I'm using up what's in my pantry/freezer for tonight's meal. I only needed two items I didn't have and that was heavy cream to go in the dessert and a sauce to go over it. I've got a full pantry and freezer, so trying to use up alot of what we have without having to go out and buy alot of ingredients to make meals. Some of this was given to us, so trying to find ways of using it up.

MENU:
Cajun Turkey & Rice
Copper Penny Carrots
Dinner Rolls
Bread Pudding with Butterscotch Caramel Sauce

     From the freezer, I have 2.08 lbs chunk of  Hickory Smoked Cajun Style Turkey Breast. I thawed it but haven't been sure what to do with it. Slicing it for fajitas came to mind. I might do that with the other half of the meat as I don't need two pounds for dinner. I opted for Betty Crocker Chicken Helper: Chicken & Herb Rice. It's one of those one skillet meals, in this case, just add chicken (1lb uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast halves). As far as I'm concerned, poultry is poultry as most chicken/turkey recipes are interchangeable. I already had the box in the basement pantry, so this uses up another item and gets it off my shelves. I have a bag of leftover rolls from last night's dinner to go along with the meal.
     For a vegetable I'm going to make my grandmother's recipe for Copper Penny Carrots. She submitted it for a local fundraising cookbook in Iowa circa 1980. This is one of those recipes that past generations enjoyed eating but newer generations may not prefer. It's both sweet and sour. I haven't had it in years. Will see what the kids think of it. I've got a couple cans of sliced carrots in the pantry, so this uses up some more pantry items and lets them try something new. Canned carrots are not the most appetizing looking vegetable, so hopefully this will improve them enough to be tasty. The recipe doesn't say to serve it warm or cold but you may prefer to warm it slightly before serving.

Copper Penny Carrots

2 - #2 size (1.4 oz) cans sliced carrots or 5 cups raw sliced carrots
1 onion sliced thin
1 green pepper sliced thin or diced

Sauce:
1 can tomato soup
1/2 cup salad oil
1 cup sugar
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup vinegar

If using raw carrots, cook until tender but firm. Drain carrots - add onions and green pepper. Mix sauce. Pour over vegetables, cover and marinate 12 hours in refrigerator. Drain to serve. Will keep 2 weeks in refrigerator. Serves 8 to 10.

    Dessert for tonight is going to be Bread Pudding. I found the recipe at America's Test Kitchen website. You can find it here. You do need to register on their website to view the recipe, but registration is free. I don't have the callah loaf they call for. They don't recommend squishy white sandwich bread as it just gets soggy. You need a hearty loaf that will soak up the custard. What I've got to use up is a 2lb loaf of traditional rye boule. It should work fine. Recipe does call for 2 1/2 cups of heavy cream that I had to go out and get and does use up 9 large egg yolks. There is a free video of them making the recipe from their PBS TV show. They top the bread pudding with a Bourbon Butterscotch Caramel Sauce. (Note: to view this recipe, from their sister site Cook's Country, you have to be a paid member, which I'm not). The episode of the TV show (link above) shows them making both the Bread Pudding and the Bourbon Sauce, so you could just write the recipe down for the sauce as you watch. I don't have bourbon in the house anyway, so I just bought a small jar of Mrs. Richardson's Butterscotch Caramel topping. It recommends warming before serving.
      So as not to waste all those egg whites, I'm going to make an angel food cake for tomorrow. And since I'm making this from scratch (and it's not a boxed mix) I may just make my recipe for chocolate angel food cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment